I am sharing my own recipe of traditional beef empanadas with pebre and a
Huancaina sauce next to it for my peruvian touch!!!! enjoy them, any questions feel free to comment below
yield about 20 empanadas ( 7oz each)
For the Pino ( beef mixture)
• 3 pounds of ground beef
• 1 cup beef or chicken broth
• 16 oz onions finely chopped
• 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons red pepper or paprika or Merken (Chilean smoked chili)
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 4 tablespoons oil
• 20 black peruvian or kalamata olives pitted
• 4 hard-boiled eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup warm water
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 pounds of all-purpose flour
• 4 egg yolks
• 6,5 oz of melted shortening, warm
1. For the Pino, always to do it the day before. In a large saucepan heat the oil , Add the onion and cumin,
garlic paprika and cook until it turn clear, add the ground meat ( the leanest possible) mix well, add the raisins
preferable previously marinated in pisco for few days. Stir well and add the broth, then cook over low
heat for about 30 minutes until onion is tender . Add the flour and stir well and adjust seasoning if necessary,
cook two more minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
2. For the dough, make a brine with the milk, water, and salt, stir to dissolve the salt altogether.
In a large bowl or on a stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix the flour and egg yolks, mix for a
minute to incorporate. Add the melted shortening and work a little more, at this point you will see only crumbs.
To form the dough star adding the brine with the mixer running on low speed
until the dough is soft and flexible. If needed, keep adding water.
Separate the dough into 20 portions and cover with a moist cloth. Work each piece individually,
rolling until thin, cut in a circle about 7″ and fill with two tablespoons of Pino, a quarter of hard-boiled egg and
olives if desired. Close smearing the edge, press firmly and make the folds. Brush with an
egg wash before baking.,
3. Preheated the oven to 350F or 180C. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
4. Serve hot. To reheat, do it in the oven at the same temperature for 15 minutes.